Question: How can I extract news articles that are talking about a company or a person in a negative way?
Answer: There is a way to do this in LexisNexis. Here are the steps:
- Don’t use the General search or the Power Search, but click News in the left menu and then click All news
- Enter the company name or person’s name between parentheses preceded by atleast3. The atleast command makes sure the name of the company or person appears in the article a certain number of times, so the article is more relevant.
- Mark the second searchfield as In same sentence as. This makes sure that the negative terms are connected to the name.
- Now think of a number of negative words and use a wildcard exclamation mark ! for truncation.
- Set the time period
- Choose a news source such as Newspapers
For an example see this image: